MARE Hosted Events
Throughout the year, MARE hosts events statewide to connect and support social workers, waiting children and prospective adoptive families. Please subscribe to our events newsletter to be notified of upcoming opportunities as they are scheduled.
Adoption Matching Events – These casual, interactive mixers provide families the opportunity to learn more about foster care adoption, meet waiting children and network with social workers. Some events are open to families at any stage of considering adoption, while others are limited to families with an approved homestudy who are ready to meet waiting children. Some events are planned for specific populations of waiting children (such as teens, children with special needs, or siblings) or specific populations of families (LGBT families, families of color, or single parents.) See Making the Most of an Adoption Party for tips.
Family Support Events – Through trainings, webinars, panels and peer to peer support, prospective adoptive families at any stage in the process can continue to build their knowledge and network of support.
Fundraising Events – Be a part of bringing a child or teen home to their adoptive family by participating on one of MARE’s fundraising and community building events.
Ask Me, I did it!
If you are a family pursuing adoption from foster care in Massachusetts, whether you are taking MAPP training, working in the home study, waiting for a match, or already placed, before finalization, please join us to learn more about different topics you may have questions about. Families will have the opportunity to interact with experienced adoptive families in different virtual breakout rooms according to their topic of interest.
At the event, experienced families of different constellations (single, couples, LGBTQ, bi-racial, multicultural, with/out biological children) will be available to answer questions such as:
- What is the most important advice you would give to someone wanting to adopt a sibling group?
- I am placed with a child who is still legal risk. Do you have any recommendations of how to cope with the uncertainty of not knowing if the child will stay in our family?
- How can we better prepare ourselves to be placed with a school-age child/teen?
- How do we know if transracial adoption is the right path for our family?
- We have biological children, what is the best way to prepare them for a new sibling?
- What strategies would you recommend to locate and access services (school-IEPs, therapeutic, special needs, cultural support) for children?
- Do you have specific advice on how to support the adopted child’s connection with biological family?
If you have general questions about this event, please email Ricardo Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions regarding the registration process, please email Marissa Swyer at email@example.com
How to Register: